Spiced hot chocolate recipe

December 11, 2010
Author: Tom

christmas-blog-header

Here’s a fiery, spicy twist to this decadent drink. This luxurious hot chocolate has a double-warming effect: the heat of the drink, and the kick of fresh chillies!

Spiced hot chocolate recipe

Ingredients

• 1 litre milk
  • 2 fresh red chillies
  • 100g dark chocolate
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
  • 2 teaspoons honey
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 vanilla pod, or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Method
Wash the chillies and make a few cuts on them. Place the chillies in a pan with the milk and the other spices and heat up for five minutes. Melt the chocolate in a double-boiler (or in the microwave if you prefer). Once melted, add the chocolate and the honey to the warm milk, and heat gently for 10 minutes until the hot chocolate thickens. Remove the cinnamon sticks and serve!

Makes four cups.

Chocolate facts

We grow the cocoa plant  – the source of chocolate – in our Rainforest Biome. Come and visit to find out more about the fascinating story of chocolate and see the cocoa pods (pictured below) up close! In the meantime, did you know that:

• Cocoa’s Latin name Theobroma cacao means ‘food of the gods’.
  • Chocolate was first reserved for the rich, and went on to become part of the emergency rations kit for armies, navies and rescue teams. Now it’s ‘a luxury’ that nearly all of us can have.
  • The world grows 3 million tonnes of cocoa a year. In the UK we eat around 10kg of chocolate each a year … yum!

cocoa-plant-rainforest-biome

christmas-blog-footer

Comments:
8 comments
Categories:
A Time of Gifts Calendar, Christmas, Food
Tags:
, ,

8 responses to Spiced hot chocolate recipe

1. Jackhandy says:

This really is decadent ~ I didn’t have cinnamon sticks, so used 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, which proved overpowering: Next time, I’ll leave out the cinnamon & cut up the chillies for more kick.
    Got my chocolate from Lidl – 100g, 74%, £99p!

2. Ruth McGurk says:

Can you let me know how much chutney is made using the spiced apple chutney recipe featured in the shop leaflet?

3. Nina says:

The recipe makes around 2kg to 2.5kg of chutney Ruth.

4. phill says:

Fantastic drink, really chocolatey and warming. The chilli was very warm though, how can milk be that hot???
    Will definitely try it again!

5. danielle evans says:

it does not taste good my mothers is fantastic xx

6. Eden Project says:

Hi Danielle, We’re sorry you don’t like the recipe. How do you think it could be improved? Is your mum willing to share her recipe?

7. Choclette says:

Sounds good to me and nicely restorative too with all those spices and honey. I don’t normally add any additional sweetener, but think I might make an exception for the honey in this one. Think I might leave out the vanilla too, or there might be too much going on.

8. Diane Clement says:

This recipe for hot chocolate looks terrific to me. It is similar to the one I make with ginger syrup, fresh ginger and a cinnamon sticks. I will be adding the chili to my recipe. Also I love seeing the photo of the cocoa pod. I visited the Eden Project last March and have similar photos. I had never seen a cocoa pod before. I hope someday to visit the biomes again from my home in California. In the meantime, I am happy with my Eden Project shirts and carry bags which are unique here in California.