We've taken a Jamie Oliver recipe and 'remixed' it with inspiration from some of the delicious plants we've got growing in our Biomes to cook up these tasty chocolate treats:
- sugar, coffee and cacao grow in our Rainforest Biome
- chillis, oranges and mint grow in our Mediterranean Biome.
These chocolates are great Christmas-time treats as they look marvellous and snap into shards of random flavours, so are exciting to share.
- 8 tbsp demerara sugar
- 1tbsp almond extract
- 1tbsp orange extract/Cointreau
- 1tbsp peppermint extract
- 1tbsp rose water
- mint leaves
- chopped almonds
- chopped coffee beans
- orange zest
- chilli flakes
- 600g dark chocolate
- Take four bowls and put 2 tbsp of sugar into each bowl. Add 1 tbsp of a different flavouring (almond, orange, peppermint or rose water) to each bowl. Mix the flavouring until all the sugar has been incorporated.
- Roll a large sheet of baking paper out and sprinkle the flavoured sugars out into four separate strips and leave to dry.
- Make a strip of chopped coffee beans and a strip of chilli flakes.
- Add the chopped almonds to the strip of almond-flavoured sugar, the mint leaves to the strip of mint-flavoured sugar, and the orange zest to the strip of orange-flavoured sugar.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl set in a saucepan of boiling water. When smooth and fully melted, pour the chocolate over the top of your strips of flavoured sugars, coffee beans and chilli flakes. You may need to use the back of a spoon to evenly distribute the chocolate.
- When your strips are fully covered with chocolate, leave to harden and set.
- When dry you can snap it into bite-sized chunks either of one flavour or if you fancy being adventurous you could incorporate a mix!