December 27, 2012
This year we're publishing a series of Christmas recipes for the delicious biscuits and cakes that we're serving up in the Eden Bakery over the festive period for our Time of Gifts winter festival.
- 250g dried figs
- 75g sultanas
- 1 1/4 teaspoons orange zest
- 125g chopped walnuts
- 125ml honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 90g plain chocolate, finely chopped
- 100ml orange marmalade
- 150g plain flour
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 50g butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pulse the figs, sultanas, orange zest and walnuts in a food processor. If the mixture is too thick, a couple of tablespoons of water can be added. Gradually stir in the honey, cinnamon, chocolate and orange marmalade. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6. Grease two baking trays.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and baking powder. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the eggs, milk and vanilla until the mixture can be gathered into a ball.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and roll out to .5cm thickness.
- Cut the dough into strips that are 10cm wide.
- Spread filling onto one half of each strip lengthwise.
- Fold the dough over to cover and seal the edges by pressing on them with the prongs of a fork.
- Slice the filled strips crosswise at an angle about every 2cm or so. This will make diamond shapes. Place the biscuits onto the prepared trays.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown. Remove from the baking trays to cool on wire racks. Glaze with your favourite icing and top with decorative sugar.