5.35pm Here are the Champions (we'll publish full results in a bit):
- Open Savoury Junior: Henry Cornish
- Cornish Pasty Junior: Tabitha Delbridge
- Open Savoury Company: Chough Bakery
- Cornish Pasty Company: Pasty Presto
- Open Savoury Professional: Luisa Ead
- Cornish Pasty Professional: Andy Heath
- Open Savoury Amateur: Terry O'Connor
- Cornish Pasty Amateur: Billy Deakin
- Special Ambassador Award goes to Mike Amery and Louisa Haggerty
5.07pm We're almost there - the Oggy Oscars Ceremony is beginning!
3.36pm The judging is complete - we'll be announcing the World Pasty Champions at around 5.15pm!
3.00pm Some stonking pasty facts and figures coming out of the Pasty Forum from Ruth Huxley, director of Cornwall Food and Drink.
- Cornwall produces around 170 million pasties per year, 120 million of these are the traditional variety
- Over 2,000 people are directly employed in pasty production in Cornwall. If you take the whole supply chain into account this rises to 13,000 people
- Cornwall's pasty producing businesses turnover nearly £300 million per year
- At least £15 million is paid to Cornish farmers for the locally-sourced pasty ingredients
- Pasty producers re-invest an estimated £70 million back into the local economy
2.43pm Luis Torres won our Pasty Roulette competition! Eight volunteers were each given a pasty to try. Only one of the pasties contained an EXTREMELY HOT Apache chilli, which we grew in our Mediterranean Biome, and Luis was the (un)lucky winner. Don't worry! We gave him some lovely Sharp's ale to wash away the taste.
2.30pm Our daffodil-filled pasty vases are getting a lot of admiring glances in the bakery.
2.10pm Top chef, and Coup de Monde de la Patisserie finalist 2012, Martin Chiffers is on stage sharing the inspiration behind his sweet pasty. Inspired by his travels and work in Vietnam, Korea and Japan, he's created a wonderful sweet potato, red bean paste and ginger pasty with a superb short, sweet pastry. They are delicious!
1.32pm 'What is a Cousin Jack?' - just one of the questions being asked by the Kernow King in his quiz now on stage in the Mediterranean Biome.
1.21pm Here's an incredible recipe for an azuki bean and sweet potato pasty from Martin Chiffers, ex-head pastry chef at the Savoy Hotel, who'll be giving a demonstration here this afternoon.
12.40pm The Hornets Cornish Street Band are drawing in the crowds with their brilliant line-up and fine Cornish music.
12.21pm A lovely drop of Sharp's Oggy Ale to wash down all the pasties...the Sharp's real ale bar will be open all afternoon! And you can enjoy a beer at the Oggy Oscars after party in our Gallery at 6-11pm this evening.
12.14pm Here's a little looping Vine video of the array of pasties entered in our Championships.
11.56am Judge Luke Williams says: 'Looks aren't everything! I've just had one that looked amazing but wasn't as tasty as it looked - then the next one looked terrible but tasted amazing.'
11.40am Just chatted to Caron Walwyn from Cornwall College, who's here today to demonstrate how to make a Caribbean pasty. Ingredients include butternut squash, carrot, spring onions, coriander and a red cheese like Double Gloucester. The pastry is a lovely, short buttery pastry seasoned with turmeric, which gives it a distinctive colour.
11.30am The traditional pasty workshop has just finished with plenty of top tips including hands-on advice on crimping, seasoning and getting a good gravy. A light flouring of the ingredients once they're all in place makes sure that the juices form the perfect gravy.
11.21am The judging is under way, and our man on the inside, judge Luke Williams is "looking forward to tasting some weird and wonderful flavours this year". The hardest part of judging at last year's event for Luke was trying a cheese, bacon and banana flavoured pasty!
10.56am Top tips from the Women's Institute
We just caught up with the judges representing the Women's Institute Home Economics and Craft Sub-committee, include Alison Gribble, Rosemary Slee and Wendy Trevennor provide some insight into what they'll be looking for in the pasties today.
For Alison: 'It's all about the flavour. That's certainly the biggest thing.' However, Wendy says, 'I'm looking for good texture in the pastry. It needs to be solid pasty pastry and the most important thing for me is a competent crimp.'
A top tip from Wendy Trevennor: 'Use strong flour. Your pasty needs to be able to drop it down a mine shaft!'
10.45am Judges briefing begins
A great line-up of judges from across the county has assembled, including top chefs, restaurateurs, foodies, hoteliers, the Women's Institute and life-long pasty enthusiasts including Luke Williams, who'll be giving us a judge's eye view throughout the day.
10.30am Here's a full programme for the day:
Bakery (Rainforest side)
- 9am: Pasty registration
- 10-3pm: Competition judging
Bakery (Mediterranean side)
- 10-4pm: Selection of pasty stories and debates; make-your own pasty workshops with the Chough Bakery, Padstow (featured on BBC2’s ‘The Fixer’) (£3); pasty demonstration by Martin Chiffers, ex-head pastry chef at the Savoy Hotel; and ‘Fastest Crimper in the West’ crimping competitions.
See boards in the Bakery for details.
- Traditional music and song
Bam Bam’s Shelter in Rainforest Biome
- 12pm and 2pm: Storytelling- Cornish tales
Mediterranean Biome Deck
- 10am-4pm: Sharp's Real Ale Bar with special guest ‘Oggy Ale 2013’
- 10am-4pm: Kids' activities
Mediterranean Biome Citrus Grove Stage
A full programme of live music, comedy, tomfoolery and competitions
- 10am: Saskia Maxwell
- 10.30am: Charlie Wingfield
- 11.15am: Gareth Lee
- 11.45am: Flats and Sharps
- 12.15pm: Pasty Poetry with Rob Barratt
- 12.30pm: The Oggymen
- 12.45pm: Kernow King Pasty Quiz
- 1.30pm: Butter Thieves
- 2pm: Pasty Roulette - which pasty contains the super-hot chilli?
- 2.30pm: The Cornish Wurzells
- 3.30pm: Hedluv and Passman
- 5pm: Oggy Oscars awards ceremony
- 6-11pm: Oggy Oscars Evening Event (free), featuring Skin Tight funk band and DJ
10.23am Good morning pasty fans. It's that time of year again for pasty makers from around the world to go head to head in contest for ultimate pasty supremacy!
We'd like to wish everyone the best of luck, and we hope everyone here at Eden today, whether competing or not, has a great time - we've got a proper 'ansome entertainment line-up of live comedy and music.