A new species of dinosaur is discovered on average every ten days. Why not have a go at designing your own? This is a simple kids’ craft activity you can try at home or at school.
You will need:
- 2 sheets of A4 card
- a printer
- a glue stick
- colouring pencils or felt tips
What to do
- Download our Designosaur template and print it out onto two sheets of thin A4 card. Make sure you select “fit to printable area” in your printing settings.
- Choose a head, neck and four legs and decide whether or not your dinosaur is going to have spikes along its back. Get creative and draw your own if none of the designs quite fit your dino’s personality.
- Colour these in, along with the body. It’s believed that dinosaurs were brightly coloured – to help them attract mates, so be as inventive as you can!
- Carefully cut along the solid black lines.
- Take the body and fold into shape along the dotted lines. Glue along the flaps and stick together.
- If your dinosaur has spikes, fold along the dotted lines in alternate directions, so that each flap folds the opposite way to the flap before it. This will help your spikes stand upright. Glue the spikes to the back of the body.
- Next take your neck, fold it in half and glue it to the inside of the rounded end of the body.
- Take both sides of the head and glue together onto the end of the neck.
- Finally glue on your four legs to the triangular area on both sides of the body. Your dinosaur can either stand upright or on all fours. You may need to experiment with the positions of the legs. If you bend (not fold) the feet away from the body, it will help your dinosaur stand.
Unleash your dinosaur!
We’d love to see your designosaur, so share your photos or stop motion animations with us on Facebook or Twitter, using the hashtag #DinosUnleashed. There are some great apps available to make creating stop motion videos easy. We’d recommend Animate it! for iPhones.