School workshop: Chocology
Discover the secrets of chocolate by going on journey to see where chocolate comes from and who makes it for us. This 2-hour school workshop for Years 2-4 includes chocolate rewards for everyone!
What happens: Pupils are challenged to go on journey around our Rainforest Biome to meet various characters from the story of chocolate. They are asked to perform tasks to collect resources and then return to claim their prize. The groups will meet the ancient Mayan god of chocolate, a cocoa farmer, a scientist, a Spanish explorer and a shop keeper and hear their stories. If the students gather all the prizes they win a tasty snack.
Location: The workshop takes place in the Rainforest Biome and also one of our classrooms
Skills and curriculum links
This workshop enables children to:
- learn about the importance of chocolate through history.
- empathise with farmers and producers and talk about fair trade.
- use English, mathematics, science and art skills to complete the challenge.
We've designed the workshop to help teachers cover the following subject areas:
In Geography, pupils should be taught to use maps to locate the UK and other countries, continents and oceans. They should understand geographical similarities and differences between these places through studying their human and physical geography as well as weather and climate. They should also understand early trade links between locations in South America, Africa and the UK. In English, pupils will be taught to listen to and discuss stories explaining their understanding of what has been read to them. In Maths, pupils are taught to solve problems involving multiplication and to estimate answers to problems posed.
Year group: Years 2-4
Length: 2 hours
Group size: Up to 35 pupils
Cost: £5.40 per pupil, with a minimum charge of £108 per group (includes VAT)
- a facilitated workshop with our Education Team
- free access to the Eden site for the day
- all equipment needed for the workshop
- free teaching resources enabling your class to prepare for the workshop and to follow up on the activity (download a sample copy)
- a personal welcome from the Education Team at the entrance
- a base for your bags in our purpose-built education centre, The Core
- a space to eat your own lunch or the opportunity to eat in one of our unique cafes
- free entry for accompanying adult helpers, whose participation is essential to the success of the day (please note our maximum adult/pupil ratios are as follows: KS1, 1:5; KS2 and KS3, 1:10; KS4 and KS5, 1:15)
- a free preparatory visit to Eden for teachers wanting to plan their school trip, which should be booked in advance
How many children studying chocolate can experience humidity, see a cocoa tree growing, hold a cocoa pod, smell cocoa beans? This workshop made our whole topic real. We were thrilled with what you delivered.Teacher at Pensans Primary School