How to make a peg reindeer Christmas decoration
This quirky Christmas decoration is a quick and easy craft project, which is a great activity for kids to do during the school holidays.
What you need
- a wooden clothes peg
- pipe cleaners
- two googly eyes
- Christmas twine or string
- a small red pom-pom
- PVA glue
- a felt tip pen
How to make your decoration
1. Take your twine and tie the two ends together so that it makes a loop. If you don’t have twine, string or thin ribbon works just as well.
2. Squeeze the peg to open it, and slide your loop of twine into the peg’s hinge, pulling it hard to wedge it into the spring.
2. Take a pipe cleaner and cut it to about 10cm. Push it through the middle loop of the spring.
3. Take short offcuts of pipe cleaner and twist them around the one you've just attached to the peg to make antlers.
4. Stick the pom-pom over the groove where the hinge meets the wood to make your reindeer’s nose. You can use glue, but an easy way to secure the nose is to trap part of it under the wire hinge. To do this, use your fingernail to lift the wire slightly and slide some of the pom-pom fluff underneath before releasing the wire to trap it in place.
5. Glue the googly eyes in place and use a felt tip pen to draw on a mouth.
6. Your reindeer decoration is complete! Hang him on your Christmas tree, or add a festive twist to your outfit by using him as a pendant or brooch.
Get creative and pimp up your reindeer with extra accessories. You could use glitter, multi-coloured pipe cleaners, or could even paint your peg beforehand. The more extravagant, the better! We’d love to see your creations, so tweet pictures to @edenproject or post them onto our Facebook page.