Spiced hot chocolate recipe
Here's a fiery, spicy twist to this decadent drink. This luxurious hot chocolate has a double-warming effect: the heat of the drink, and the kick of fresh chillies!
- 1 litre milk
- 2 fresh red chillies
- 100g dark chocolate
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tsps honey
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 vanilla pod, or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Wash the chillies and make a few cuts on them.
- Place in a pan with the milk and spices and heat for five minutes.
- Melt the chocolate in a double-boiler (or in the microwave if you prefer) until melted.
- Add the chocolate and honey to the warm milk, and heat gently for 10 minutes until the hot chocolate thickens.
- Remove the cinnamon sticks and serve!
Makes four cups.
In the meantime, here are some fun facts about chocolate:
- Cocoa’s Latin name Theobroma cacao means 'food of the gods'.
- Chocolate was first reserved for the rich, and went on to become part of the emergency rations kit for armies, navies and rescue teams. Now it’s 'a luxury' that nearly all of us can have.
- The world grows 3 million tonnes of cocoa a year. In the UK we eat around 10kg of chocolate each a year… yum!