School Workshop: Canopy Club
- 2-hour workshop
- Suitable for years 5 and 6
- Focus on science
- £5.80 per pupil
The Rainforest Canopy is the most biodiverse place on the planet – full of extraordinary plants and animals. This workshop challenges your pupils to work as a team, using their scientific skills to investigate the rainforest’s secrets.
School trips to Eden
Find out why students and teachers enjoy their educational trips to Eden so much!Play video
What happens: Surrounded by scientific equipment and rainforest samples, the Education Officer helps the students prepare for their scientific expedition to the rainforest. They consider the conditions and challenges they are going to face and plan their investigation before setting off in teams to undertake practical research in the Rainforest Biome.
On their return the students evaluate and feedback on their results.
Location: This takes place in a workshop room inside our purpose built education centre, as well as in the Rainforest Biome.
Skills and curriculum links
This workshop enables students to:
- experience the heat, sights, sounds and smells of the rainforest
- understand the reasons for carrying scientific research in the rainforest and the challenges which this kind of work presents
- plan, collect, consider and evaluate scientific evidence
We've designed the workshop to help teachers cover the following subject areas:
In Science, pupils use practical methods, processes and skills to plan and carry out an investigation in the Rainforest Biome in order to test a hypothesis. They should collect measurements, considering the need for accuracy and precision. They should draw conclusions from their data and evaluate their chosen methods. They should consider how plants are adapted to life in the rainforest and learn about the physical environment in the Amazon Rainforest in South America.
Definitely worth the 3-hour drive. We shall be using our data gained in The canopy club for our Maths lessons.
The workshop costs £5.80 per pupil, with a minimum charge of £116 per group (includes VAT). Maximum group size if 35. The cost includes:
- a facilitated workshop with our Education Team
- free access to the Eden site for the day
- all equipment needed for the workshop
- free teaching resources enabling your class to prepare for the workshop and to follow up on the activity (download a sample copy)
- a personal welcome from the Education Team at the entrance
- a base for your bags in our purpose-built education centre, The Core
- a space to eat your own lunch
- free entry for accompanying adult helpers, whose participation is essential to the success of the day (please note our suggested adult/pupil ratios are as follows: Early Years Foundation Stage, 1:3; Years 1-3, 1:6; Years 4 and up, 1:10). You’re welcome to bring more helpers if you’d like; for a charge of £14.75 per adult
- a free preparatory visit to Eden for teachers wanting to plan their school trip, which should be booked in advance