School workshop: Rainforest Uncovered
- 2-hour workshop
- Suitable for years 5 and 6
- Focus on science and geography
- £5.40 per pupil
This workshop challenges your Year 5 and 6 pupils to go on an expedition, make contact with a hidden rainforest tribe and unlock the secrets to their survival.
What happens: Your pupils are members of a research team who have been sent to locate the Kombai tribe in Papua and learn how they survive. The pupils first prepare for their expedition by considering what kit they would need.
Upon making contact with the Kombai they are divided into ‘tribes’ each with their own unique tribal symbol and face paints. Accompanied by their teachers the tribes journey into the rainforest and identify how to use the rainforest and its plants for food, shelter, water and health.
On return to the classroom each tribe has the responsibility of using their artefacts box to teach the rest of the group some of their secrets to survival.
Location: This takes place in a workshop room inside our purpose built education centre, as well as in the Rainforest Biome.
Skills and curriculum links
This workshop enables pupils to:
- experience the heat, sights, sounds and smells of the rainforest
- understand our fundamental dependence on plants
- consider how people from other places and cultures live
We've designed the workshop to help teachers cover the following subject areas:
In Geography, pupils should be taught about the physical and human characteristics of tropical rainforests as well as their geographical location using subject specific language. They should understand how these regions differ in comparison to the UK in terms climate, vegetation, settlements, lifestyle, land use, trade and food and water supply. They should gather information through direct observation, illustration and digital technologies. In Science, pupils should identify the ways in which living things are adapted to life in the rainforest and consider the essential requirements of humans in order to survive in an extreme environment.
An engaging workshop linked to learning across the curriculum. Children were fascinated and excited by the tasks.
Teacher at Whipton Barton Junior School
The workshop costs £5.40 per pupil, with a minimum charge of £108 per group (includes VAT). Maximum group size is 35. The cost includes:
- a facilitated workshop with our Education Team
- free access to the Eden site for the day
- all equipment needed for the workshop
- free teaching resources enabling your class to prepare for the workshop and to follow up on the activity (download a sample copy)
- a personal welcome from the Education Team at the entrance
- a base for your bags in our purpose-built education centre, The Core
- a space to eat your own lunch
- free entry for accompanying adult helpers, whose participation is essential to the success of the day (please note our maximum adult/pupil ratios are as follows: KS1, 1:5; KS2 and KS3, 1:10; KS4 and KS5, 1:15)
- a free preparatory visit to Eden for teachers wanting to plan their school trip, which should be booked in advance