Christmas in Cornwall: celebrate at our winter festival
If you're fed up of hibernating at home, celebrate with us at our winter festival. Meet Father Christmas and his real reindeer, go ice skating, take part in lantern parades and craft workshops, listen to live storytelling and pick up some great gifts in our shop.
Whether you're local or coming on holiday to spend Christmas in Cornwall, come to Eden to add sparkle to your winter. On many days during November and December 2013 we'll be open later into the evening, and you'll be able to enjoy a range of festive treats, from lantern parades to ice skating. For this year's theme, we're focusing on four of the ingredients for a perfect Christmas: Love, Hope, Music and Time.
Dates, times and price
- Dates: Saturday 23 November 2013 - Sunday 5 January 2014 (except 24 and 25 December). Not all activities will be available every day:
- lantern processions, lantern making workshops and the Love Boat Rickshaw will take place on 7, 8, 14, 15, 21, 22, 27, 28, 29 and 30 December
- Father Christmas will leave on 23 December
- the reindeer will leave on 29 December.
- There will be additional workshops during school holidays: on 23 December, and from 26 December to 5 January.
- Times: see full opening times
- Price: included in normal Eden admission price (except the Father Christmas experience, which is priced separately)
Winter festival activities
- Visit Father Christmas and real reindeer: We welcome the man in red himself and his furry friends every Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 23 November to 22 December, plus Thursday 19 December and Monday 23 December. Find out more and book online.
- Ice skating: our magical ice rink is back. Find out more on the ice skating page.
- Lantern processions: End a magical day at Eden with our glowing lantern parade. Make your own lantern in our special workshops and join our magical light procession, which ends with magnificent fire sculptures.
- Lantern processions will take place on 7, 8, 14, 15, 21, 22, 27, 28, 29 and 30 December.
- Processions start at 8.30pm on Saturdays (and on Fri 27 Dec) and 5.30pm on Sundays (and on Mon 30 Dec).
- The lantern making workshops take place in the Hive building near the ice rink at 11am-1pm (last entry at midday) on the days of the processions. They take at least an hour and are unsuitable for under-5s - and you'll come away with your very own lantern to keep!
- Storytelling: In addition to the daily stories at 12pm and 2pm there will be an extra story, 'The Iron Stove', at 7pm on Saturdays and 4pm on Sundays.
- Delicious food and drink: check out our menu of tasty winter warmers, including festive treats such as mulled cider and spiced hot chocolate.
Love, Hope, Music and Time: the ingredients of a perfect Christmas
- The Love Boat Rickshaw: celebrate your connections with your loved ones in the wonderful atmosphere of our Rainforest Biome. You'll be invited to think of, wish for, and remember loved ones as you ride the love boat rickshaw up to our Oceanic Islands exhibit, where you will launch a lantern boat on to the pool.
- Saturdays (and on Fri 27 Dec), 4.30-8pm; Sundays (and on Mon 30 Dec), 2-5pm - on 7, 8, 14, 15, 21, 22, 27, 28, 29 and 30 December.
- The Beacons of Hope: explore our exhibition of photographs around the site, which illustrate the Eden Project's charitable sustainability projects around the world.
- All day, every day.
- Live music: enjoy the festive sound of guest Cornish choirs, the Eden Choir and local band Bragatanga in the memorable surroundings of our Mediterranean Biome.
- Saturdays, 1pm, 6.15pm and 7.40pm; Sundays, 1pm, 3.15pm and 4.40pm.
- Take a Little Time Workshop Zone in the Bakery: we've got craft activities for kids and adults - have a go at making some quirky Eden-style Christmas decorations. There's also space for you to take the time to write a letter to someone you haven’t spoken to for a while or to add to our ‘Time of my Life’ display.
- Saturdays, 11am - 8pm; Sundays (and every day in the school holidays), 11am - 5pm.
- Hop, skip, repeat in the Mediterranean Biome: join in making huge crochet snowflakes to decorate Eden.
- Saturdays, 10am-11.50am, 3-6pm; Sundays, 10am-11.50am, 2.45-3.45pm, 4.45-5.30pm.