Halloweden: October half-term, Cornwall
Celebrate Halloween in Cornwall this October half-term: get involved in magical craft activities and dare to be scared. The event also features a ‘Room on the Broom’ theme inspired by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler's classic book.
Dates and price
- Saturday 25 October – Sunday 2 November 2014 (during the half-term school holiday)
- Price: entry to Halloweden is included in the cost of admission to Eden (except Little Monsters' Ball)
- The final weekend of this event coincides with our Locals' Pass offer, for residents of Devon and Cornwall
Halloween activities and events
Room on the Broom
We’re welcoming Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler’s ‘Room on the Broom’, which is sure to be a hit with younger family members. Take part in our workshops and activities, inside the Room on the Broom tent (near the WEEE Man sculpture). These include:
- Meet Witch: for the first time, Witch herself will be with us, adding a touch of magic to your half-term. She’ll welcome you into her lovely Cornish holiday home, where she’ll be reading the Room on the Broom story throughout the day (approximate times are: 11.30am; 1pm; 3.30pm; 5pm). Watch her cast some magic spells at Eden in this video.
- Hat making workshop: make a super pointy hat just like the Witch’s and add your own magical charm.
- Trail: find the ingredients around site that create the magnificent broom.
- Head-dress making workshop: choose which character from the book you'd like to be: Witch, Cat, Dog, Bird, Frog or Dragon.
- Room on the Broom film screenings: watch the gloriously animated version of the story, and see some behind-the-scenes extras, too. (The film will be showing when Witch is not reading the short story - see times above.)
We'll also be putting on all types of spooky fun for slightly older children in our Wishcraft Tent:
- Positive potion workshops: make a special potion to keep somewhere safe or give to someone you love.
- Wand making: create something special to cast your own spells and protect you on your journeys.
- Creepy Hollow: do you dare to creep through the dark tunnel?
- Storytelling: spooky stories will be told every day in the Wishcraft tent at midday, 1.30pm, 3pm and 4.30pm. Dark tales for grown-ups will be told in the Malay Hut in the Rainforest Biome at midday and 2.30pm on Monday to Friday. Check boards for more information.
- Pumpkin carving demonstrations: watch our experts create magical designs.
- Face painting: add to your fancy dress with a fun face design. Price: £3 each.
Other Halloween activities
- Creatures of the night: say hello to some amazing owls, brought by our friends from Screech Owl Sanctuary. You'll find them in the Mediterranean Biome and outside the Eden Kitchen.
- Cornish wood carvers: Find them chipping away inside the Core, from Sunday 26 October until Friday 31 November, 11am - 4pm.
Little Monsters' Ball Halloween disco
- Friday 31 October 2014, 6-9pm
- Price: £7 per person (tickets do not include ice skating) - book tickets online
Get your fancy dress on and join us for a spooky evening of fang-tastic fun for all the family. There’ll be plenty of creepy activities, tasty treats in our cafes and a good boneshaking disco in our Olive Grooveyard. The ice rink will be open and is sure to chill you to the bone!
Get your skates on for another winter of icy fun at Eden! Our ice rink opens on 18 October 2014, in time for the Halloweden celebrations and the Little Monsters' Ball disco. Find out more about ice skating.
Room on the Broom licensed by Magic Light Pictures Ltd.