Enter your Cornish pasty in our World Pasty Championships
The World Pasty Championships are today! Follow all the action on our live blog.
Latest news: Our Locals' Annual Pass will once again be available to residents of Cornwall and Devon for one day only on Saturday 2 March 2013, the day of our World Pasty Championships. To buy your pass on that day, you must come to Eden. Find out what you'll need to bring.
- Date: Saturday 2 March 2013, the Saturday before the national day of Cornwall, St Piran’s Day
- Awards ceremony at 4.30pm in the Visitor Centre
- After party in the Gallery (live music and DJ) from 6 to 11pm
- Entry price: £10 per category, or £5 for the junior categories
As the Eden Project is based in Cornwall, our World Pasty Championships will celebrate the traditional Cornish pasty recipe, as well as some more unusual varieties. From the Americas to Australia, pasties derived from recipes passed down by Cornish emigrants over centuries are eaten and enjoyed by many millions of people. We invite entries from around the world to our Championships.
There are eight categories in all, with the opportunity to enter a traditional Cornish pasty or an alternative savoury pasty:
- Cornish Pasty – Company
- Cornish Pasty – Professional
- Cornish Pasty – Amateur
- Cornish Pasty Junior (15 and under)
- Open Savoury – Company
- Open Savoury - Professional
- Open Savoury – Amateur
- Open Savoury - Junior (15 and under)
How to enter
You can now register online here.
Entertainment all day
Celebrate a few days ahead of St Piran's Day (Cornwall's national day) with our great line-up of live music, comedy and other pasty-themed fun! In the evening, come to the Oggy Oscars Ceremony where the champions will be announced, and then enjoy live music, a DJ and a few beers in our Gallery after (from 6 to 11pm).
Programme for the day
Bakery (Rainforest side)
- 9am: Pasty registration
- 10-3pm: Competition judging
Bakery (Mediterranean side)
- 10-4pm: Selection of pasty stories and debates; make-your own pasty workshops with the Chough Bakery, Padstow (featured on BBC2’s ‘The Fixer’) (£3); pasty demonstration by Martin Chiffers, ex-head pastry chef at the Savoy Hotel; and ‘Fastest Crimper in the West’ crimping competitions.
See boards in the Bakery for details.
- Traditional music and song
Bam Bam’s Shelter in Rainforest Biome
- 12pm and 2pm: Storytelling- Cornish tales
Mediterranean Biome Deck
- 10am-4pm: Sharp's Real Ale Bar with special guest ‘Oggy Ale 2013’
- 10am-4pm: Kids' activities
Mediterranean Biome Citrus Grove Stage
A full programme of live music, comedy, tomfoolery and competitions
- 10am: Saskia Maxwell
- 10.30am: Charlie Wingfield
- 11.15am: Gareth Lee
- 11.45am: Flats and Sharps
- 12.15pm: Pasty Poetry with Rob Barratt
- 12.30pm: The Oggymen
- 12.45pm: Kernow King Pasty Quiz
- 1.30pm: Butter Thieves
- 2pm: Pasty Roulette - which pasty contains the super-hot chilli?
- 2.30pm: The Cornish Wurzells
- 3.30pm: Hedluv and Passman
- 5pm: Oggy Oscars awards ceremony
- 6-11pm: Oggy Oscars Evening Event (free), featuring Skin Tight funk band and DJ
Last year's Championships
The championships at Eden will be a great celebration of the pasty and a chance for bakers in Cornwall and beyond to show off their talents.Mark Muncey, chairman of the Cornish Pasty Association