Bamboo Bicycle Club bike-making workshop
The bamboo bike build will take place from 4 to 6 May, in advance of the third annual Eden Classic sportive on Sunday 7 May, in which you can take part on your new bamboo bike, if you wish.
For your bike, you'll be choosing bamboo poles grown at Eden. Cornwall is famous for its exotic varieties of bamboo and we have some striking examples outside and inside the Rainforest and Mediterranean Biomes.
About the Bamboo Bicycle Club
Bamboo Bicycle Club is a London-based social enterprise that has been running for four years. Its team of experts teaches people to build their very own custom bicycle frame using bamboo and the bikes are used for regular commutes, racing, off-roading and travelling around the world.
Participants will learn how to build their own bicycle frame on site, beginning with the initial bamboo selection and cutting, right through to fitting the wheels.
“We’re doing something that hasn’t been done before – inviting cyclists to choose bamboo canes from a growing clump, harvest them and build a bike to their own design and fit. Then they have the exciting prospect of taking part in a great challenge ride on their brand-new bamboo bikes.”
James Marr, co-founder, Bamboo Bicycle Club
What is included in the workshop
Each place on the workshop costs £650 plus VAT - this includes:
- Three-day workshop at Eden guided by experts from the Bamboo Bicycle Club:
- two days will feature making a custom bike frame of any variety you choose (e.g. road, mountain, city, BMX), from choosing and cutting the bamboo to finishing the frame
- the third day will involve fitting the rest of the bike, either through recycling components (wheels, handlebars etc) from your old bike or fitting new ones that you have bought. The club can advise on what to buy or can help you source the components.
- Three nights' basic, self-catering farmhouse accommodation within walking distance of the workshop
- A place on the Eden Classic sportive cycling event on Sunday 7 May 2017 - routes of 35, 62 and 100 miles are available.
How to book your place
This workshop is now full.