The Eden Project Cafe, a sustainable building
The cafe in our local town centre, St Austell, is not only a place for community activities and creativity, it has also been built with the environment in mind.
Here are some of the features we worked with the engineers and construction companies to implement:
- The cafe was built in the shell of a BREEAM Excellent building at White River Place, St Austell, which was awarded Gold in the Considerate Constructors Scheme National Site Awards 2010.
- We've fitted out the cafe using certified timber frames, non-toxic ceiling paint, concrete floor with materials sourced from local Cornish pits, locally made tiles, and tables and chairs from local joiners.
- We're committed to using renewable energy. Our electricity tariff is from Good Energy, with back up from solar panels, solar thermal (pipes on the roof) for primary water heating, and air source heat pumps for under-floor heating.
- We reduce energy consumption with our double-glazed windows, natural air conditioning, natural light, and low-energy LED lighting.
- Rainwater is harvested to flush the toilets (a feature that Eden persuaded White River Place to include for every unit).
- Our state-of-the-art kitchen is low-water, low-energy and low-detergent.