DEEP IN THE SUMATRAN RAINFOREST, ONE OF NATURE’S RAREST EVENTS TAKES PLACE. THE TITAN ARUM BLOOMS WITH THE LARGEST FLOWERING STRUCTURE ON EARTH. NOW, AFTER YEARS OF RESEARCH, THE EDEN PROJECT HAS SUCCEEDED IN EXTRACTING THE ESSENCE OF THIS GIANT.
FEEL THE STRENGTH OF THE DIVINE TITANS OF GREEK MYTH WITH A FRAGRANCE THAT EXUDES POWER.
a.k.a. Corpse flower
- largest flowering structure (inflorescence) on Earth, growing up to three metres tall
- overpowering stench of rotting flesh attracts insect pollinators such as carrion-eating beetles and flesh flies
- rare to see it bloom - after 7-9 years, the plant produces a flower, which only opens for 48 hours before collapsing
- when it blooms it produces its own heat to help spread the smell and attract pollinators
- very difficult to cultivate, but the Eden Project in Cornwall has succeeded in getting 22 to bloom in its Rainforest Biome in the last 15 years
- listed as 'vulnerable' by the International Union for Conservation of Nature, as its rainforest habitat in Western Sumatra, Indonesia, is under threat from deforestation
- see the titan arum blooming now in our Rainforest Biome live on our webcam
- find out more about the titan arum and see more photos on our plant profile page.