Reaching out to people with diabetes
- Free opportunity
- For diabetics in Cornwall
- At Eden Project or a suitable venue near your
A fantastic opportunity for people with diabetes in Cornwall to get support and advice and to access training and volunteering opportunities.
If you are living with diabetes and are looking for support and advice to build your confidence, our friendly free support network could help you take those first positive steps forward.
What we can offer
You can pick and choose from a variety of activities to find something that suits you.
- Gentle exercise opportunities here at the Eden Project through our diabetes walking group – which caters for all levels of mobility.
- Help with finding training or volunteering opportunities
- Support identifying and achieving personal goals, through regular catch-ups with our friendly coordinator.
- A safe and supportive environment at Eden for you to build confidence, self-esteem and independence.
- An opportunity to meet other people with the same condition, with whom you can chat informally and share your own experiences of diabetes – over a cuppa.
'I’ve made new friends, I’ve got more stamina and I feel a bit fitter. And I’ve got more confidence; it’s helped my mood.'
Who it’s for
This support programme is open to diabetics living in Cornwall, aged 16-65 years, who are not currently in work. Thanks to funding from the European Social Fund it is completely free!
However, our diabetes walking group is open to anyone with diabetes who would benefit.
Tracey, one of our participants, says the programme has helped her with with all sorts of things, from fitness to confidence to finding a volunteering opportunity. She says: 'It’s great, you’re not under any pressure. You can go at your own pace.'
People who’ve taken part in similar programmes at the Eden Project for a variety of conditions, including diabetes and mental ill health, have really benefited. Over 12 weeks 94% of participants experienced an increase in wellbeing.
Where and when it takes place
Our diabetes walking group happens at the Eden Project on Wednesday mornings at 10.30am, and you can join in for as little as 10 minutes or as much as 40 minutes to an hour.
We can arrange your regular one-to-one catch-ups at a place and time to suit you. We think the Eden site is an ideal spot, with gardens, cafes and quiet spots, but we’re equally happy to come to you. We can also arrange free transport to and from Eden within Cornwall.
How to join in
We’d love to hear from you if you think you could benefit from joining in. Simply get in touch with our coordinator Heidi Morgan on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01726 818550.