Dress for the weather
This treasure hunt with a twist will help your young child make the link between clothes and weather. After all, they say there’s no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing.
Why do this activity?
This game will help your child to develop their understanding of the world by considering what people might need. There will be lots of opportunity for children to develop their communication and language skills by talking about the weather and the items which they find.
What to do?
- An adult or sibling needs to prepare for this activity by hiding a selection of clothing and accessories – which all have a link to the weather – in your garden, if you have one, or in a room in your home.
- Ideas for items include umbrellas, sandals, waterproof coats, hats, sunglasses, bikinis, sun cream.
- Then get your child hunting for the clothes and accessories. If you’re outdoors this is a great opportunity for children to notice and categorise what is naturally occurring in the outdoor environment, and which things are human made and don’t normally belong there.
- Once all of the clothes and accessories have been discovered you can either stand outside or look out of the window and decide together which items would be best for the weather today.
- You can then either work together to dress your child’s favourite teddy in those items or the child themselves can get dressed in the clothes and accessories.