Eden Takeover Day
Primary School Careers Event at the Eden Project
6 February 2020
- Developing listening, problem-solving, creativity and team work skills
- In-school follow up
This is a great opportunity for classes of upper primary children from a number of different schools to spend the day at the Eden Project as part of a career related learning project. This event is now fully booked.
Opportunity for primary schools
Eden's Takeover Day aims to increase Cornish primary children’s awareness of the array of job opportunities available in Cornwall and beyond.
Thanks to funding from the Careers and Enterprise Company, we have places for eight classes of older primary-age children from local schools to take part in February.
What happens on the day
The idea is to get children to start thinking about different skills for different roles and make links to their own strengths and interests whilst overcoming challenges and barriers.
Pupils will get to engage with Eden Project staff representing diverse backgrounds and job roles, including chefs, narrators, retail and media. They'll practise the skill of setting themselves an achievable goal and working towards it and, finally, they’ll share their experience with peers and parents.
Outcomes for children
- Awareness of career possibilities (what jobs people have and where)
- Opportunity to develop listening, problem-solving, creativity and teamwork skills in a work related context
- Better understanding of their own strengths and weaknesses
- Behavioural strategies for goal-setting and moving toward those goals
- Increased richness of ‘possible selves’ model.
- Eden Takeover Day (6 February 2020)
- In-school follow up led by the Eden Education team
Facetime or Skype session with an Eden Team member encountered on the Takeover Day
In-school follow up led by class teacher, supported by provided materials
Class to share their learning with a wider audience, which must include parents, e.g. an assembly or hosting their own Takeover Day where the class share their skills with other children and their parents