Playfully Learning Outdoors in the Early Years
- For EYFS teachers or childminders
- One-day or half-day course in May, June and October
- Takes place in Eden's wild outer estate
These courses aim to support early years practitioners – whether teachers or childminders – to become confident leaders of outdoor learning and nature-based play; with pockets full of ideas and ready-to-go activities, practical ideas for managing groups and resources, and inspiration for venturing outside.
The benefits of outdoor learning and play
The outdoors is a perfect enabling environment for experiential and effective learning – exploring, developing curiosity, seeking challenge and solving problems. Children develop grit, determination, resilience, self-esteem; learn to communicate and work together, while also growing healthy minds and bodies. The benefits to children are well documented.
So let’s get out there more! Come and explore our Little Eden site to gather some practical ideas for managing children and resources outside. We’ll talk about issues and challenges related to nature-based experiences such as recording observations, planning, risk and risk benefits; and we will have a lot of fun.
Our methods are playful, linking closely to the EYFS curriculum to take maths, literacy, and creativity outside; while also sharing ideas and approaches from settings around the country.
What you'll get out of the training
On this outdoor learning training you will:
- Understand the value and importance of real-life experiences, outdoor learning and nature-based play for Early Years children.
- Develop confidence and inspiration to venture out and about with children.
- Experience a variety of creative, playful activities inspired by wild and natural places.
- Explore our Little Eden site and gather some practical ideas for managing children and resources outside.
- Discuss links to the EYFS curriculum and management issues such as planning, recording observations, risk and risk-benefit.
Who they're for: The courses are for practitioners working with two-to-five-year old children. EYFS teachers should take place in our one-day course, while EYFS childminders should attend our half-day course alongside their children.
Where they take place: Both courses are taught at the Eden Project in our nature-based play space, on the edge of our wild estate.
When they happen: Courses take place in May and October
How to book: Please book your places through Cornwall Council's Early Years Training Directory: Book a teachers' course. (Booking will soon be available for the childminders' course.)