School Workshop: A Feast for the Senses
- 1.5-hour workshop
- Suitable for years 1, 2 and 3
- Focus on English and science
- £6.20 per pupil
A workshop offering a sensory adventure of sounds, sights, textures, smells and tastes, exploring the world of plants in unusual ways.
School trips to Eden
Find out why students and teachers enjoy their educational trips to Eden so much!Play video
What happens: Students are introduced to Fleur who asks for their help to find her missing senses. A series of activities takes the children on a trail across the Eden site, using their own senses to help Fleur in her quest.
Location: We take children into our outdoor gardens in fine weather. Otherwise we explore the Mediterranean Biome which houses plants from the Med, California and South Africa. Both are perfect for stimulating the senses – with a huge array of textures, smells and colours on display.
Skills and curriculum links
This workshop enables students to:
- use all their senses to investigate the environment in unusual ways
- use appropriate language to describe their ideas to the group
- participate in a narrative-led exploration of Eden
We've designed the workshop to help teachers cover the following subject areas:
Pupils should experiment with making sounds using natural materials and learn which parts of the body are associated with each sense. They should be encouraged to respond appropriately and participate actively in collaborative conversations. They should develop pleasure in reading and motivation to read by participating in discussions about what has been read, expressing their views and listening to the views of others.
The workshop costs £6.20 per pupil, with a minimum charge of £124 per group (includes VAT). Maximum group size is 35. The cost includes:
- a facilitated workshop with our Education Team
- free access to the Eden site for the day
- all equipment needed for the workshop
- free teaching resources enabling your class to prepare for the workshop and to follow up on the activity (download a sample copy)
- a personal welcome from the Education Team at the entrance
- a base for your bags in our purpose-built education centre, The Core
- a space to eat your own lunch
free entry for accompanying adult helpers, whose participation is essential to the success of the day (please note our suggested adult/pupil ratios are as follows: Early Years Foundation Stage, 1:3; Key Stage 1, 1:6; Key Stage 2 and 3, 1:10; Key Stage 4, 1:15; Key Stage 5, 1:20). You’re welcome to bring more helpers if you’d like; for a charge of £15 per adult
a free preparatory visit to Eden for teachers wanting to plan their school trip, which should be booked in advance