School Workshop: Chocology
- 2-hour workshop
- Suitable for years 2, 3 and 4
- Focus on geography, English and maths
- £6.20 per pupil
Discover the secrets of chocolate by going on a journey to see where chocolate comes from and who makes it for us. There is also a tasty chocolate reward for everyone!
School trips to Eden
Find out why students and teachers enjoy their educational trips to Eden so much!Play video
What happens: Pupils are challenged to go on journey around our Rainforest Biome to meet various characters from the story of chocolate. They are asked to perform tasks to collect resources and then return to claim their prize. The groups will meet the ancient Mayan god of chocolate, a cocoa farmer, a scientist, a Spanish explorer and a shop keeper and hear their stories. If the students gather all the prizes they win a tasty snack.
Location: The workshop takes place in the Rainforest Biome and also one of our classrooms
How many children studying chocolate can experience humidity, see a cocoa tree growing, hold a cocoa pod, smell cocoa beans? This workshop made our whole topic real. We were thrilled with what you delivered.
Teacher at Pensans Primary School
Skills and curriculum links
This workshop enables children to:
- learn about the importance of chocolate through history.
- empathise with farmers and producers and talk about fair trade.
- use English, mathematics, science and art skills to complete the challenge.
We've designed the workshop to help teachers cover the following subject areas:
In Geography, pupils should be taught to use maps to locate the UK and other countries, continents and oceans. They should understand geographical similarities and differences between these places through studying their human and physical geography as well as weather and climate. They should also understand early trade links between locations in South America, Africa and the UK. In English, pupils will be taught to listen to and discuss stories explaining their understanding of what has been read to them. In Maths, pupils are taught to solve problems involving multiplication and to estimate answers to problems posed.
The workshop costs £6.20 per pupil, with a minimum charge of £124 per group (includes VAT). Maximum group size is 35. The cost includes:
- a facilitated workshop with our Education Team
- free access to the Eden site for the day
- all equipment needed for the workshop
- free teaching resources enabling your class to prepare for the workshop and to follow up on the activity (download a sample copy)
- a personal welcome from the Education Team at the entrance
- a base for your bags in our purpose-built education centre, The Core
- a space to eat your own lunch
free entry for accompanying adult helpers, whose participation is essential to the success of the day (please note our suggested adult/pupil ratios are as follows: Early Years Foundation Stage, 1:3; Key Stage 1, 1:6; Key Stage 2 and 3, 1:10; Key Stage 4, 1:15; Key Stage 5, 1:20). You’re welcome to bring more helpers if you’d like; for a charge of £15 per adult
a free preparatory visit to Eden for teachers wanting to plan their school trip, which should be booked in advance