School Workshop: Crazy Chef Challenge
- 105 minute workshop
- Suitable for years 3 and 4
- Focus on geography
- £6.20 per pupil
This workshop takes students on a journey around the world to explore where food comes from.
School trips to Eden
Find out why students and teachers enjoy their educational trips to Eden so much!Play video
What happens: The Eden Chef has gone bonkers and has set a challenge for the students. He has written a recipe for a delicious cake containing ingredients from all over the world. The instructions are clear, but the ingredients are written in gobbledegook (actually, Latin).
If your students can unravel the clues, find the plants and collect the ingredients, the chef will bake the cake for you all to eat. If not, the chef will eat the lot! With clues, a map and a worksheet to help them, the students find and collect the ingredients from the Biomes in order to win the challenge.
While the cake is cooking, students investigate where in the world the ingredients have come from and how this connects them to people and places across the planet. Finally, the cake arrives and is shared out amongst the students.
Location: This takes place in a workshop room inside our purpose built education centre. Students also explore the Mediterranean and Rainforest Biomes to complete their challenge.
Skills and curriculum links
This workshop enables students to:
- investigate everyday plants; their uses and geographical origins
- discover our connections to people and places around the world through the food we eat
- use mapwork skills and coordinates to find their route
We've designed the workshop to help teachers cover the following subject areas:
In Geography, pupils are taught to use a globe to identify the position of countries across the world including those in Europe, North and South America. They should be taught about key physical and human characteristics of these locations using geographical terms and identify trade links with the UK. They should use fieldwork skills such as map work and grid references.
The workshop costs £6.20 per pupil, with a minimum charge of £124 per group (includes VAT). Maximum group size is 35. The cost includes:
- a facilitated workshop with our Education Team
- free access to the Eden site for the day
- all equipment needed for the workshop
- free teaching resources enabling your class to prepare for the workshop and to follow up on the activity (download a sample copy)
- a personal welcome from the Education Team at the entrance
- a base for your bags in our purpose-built education centre, The Core
- a space to eat your own lunch
free entry for accompanying adult helpers, whose participation is essential to the success of the day (please note our suggested adult/pupil ratios are as follows: Early Years Foundation Stage, 1:3; Key Stage 1, 1:6; Key Stage 2 and 3, 1:10; Key Stage 4, 1:15; Key Stage 5, 1:20). You’re welcome to bring more helpers if you’d like; for a charge of £15 per adult
- a free preparatory visit to Eden for teachers wanting to plan their school trip, which should be booked in advance