School Workshop: Green Machines
- 1.5-hour workshop
- Suitable for years 1 and 2
- Focus on science
- £6 per pupil
Take an exciting journey through the world of plants, unlocking the secrets of what makes our green friends thrive and survive.
School trips to Eden
Find out why students and teachers enjoy their educational trips to Eden so much!Play video
What happens: This science focussed workshop takes children on a sensory journey to find out how clever plants are. Children are introduced to parts of plants and their uses, using props, movement and pictures.
They then gather plant facts and examples around Eden during a hands-on discovery walk. Back in the education centre, they review their new found knowledge and generate new questions for further research.
Location: The workshop starts and ends in the education centre workshop room, and includes an exploration of the Mediterranean and Rainforest Biomes, as well as the outdoor gardens.
Skills and curriculum links
This workshop enables children to:
- identify key parts of plants - roots, stems, leaves and flowers
- show their understanding that these plant parts are all important and do different ‘jobs’ for the plant
- observe plants closely, describing similarities and differences
- ask questions prompted by their observations
We've designed the workshop to help teachers cover the following subject areas:
In Science, pupils should be taught to identify and describe the basic structure of a variety of common flowering plants. They work scientifically by: observing closely, and comparing and contrasting familiar plants; drawing diagrams showing the parts of different plants.
The workshop costs £6 per pupil, with a minimum charge of £120 per group (includes VAT). Maximum group size is 35. The cost includes:
- a facilitated workshop with our Education Team
- free access to the Eden site for the day
- all equipment needed for the workshop
- free teaching resources enabling your class to prepare for the workshop and to follow up on the activity (download a sample copy)
- a personal welcome from the Education Team at the entrance
- a base for your bags in our purpose-built education centre, The Core
- a space to eat your own lunch
free entry for accompanying adult helpers, whose participation is essential to the success of the day (please note our suggested adult/pupil ratios are as follows: Early Years Foundation Stage, 1:3; Key Stage 1, 1:6; Key Stage 2 and 3, 1:10; Key Stage 4, 1:15; Key Stage 5, 1:20). You’re welcome to bring more helpers if you’d like; for a charge of £14.75 per adult
- a free preparatory visit to Eden for teachers wanting to plan their school trip, which should be booked in advance
This workshop is accredited under the British Science Association’s CREST Awards scheme. Completion of the workshop contributes two activities towards a Star Award.