School Workshop: Sustainable and eco-tourism
- 1-hour workshop
- Suitable for years 12 and 13
- Focus on geography
- £11.00 per pupil
A workshop which explores the Eden Project as a working example of an eco-tourism attraction and social enterprise.
School trips to Eden
Find out why students and teachers enjoy their educational trips to Eden so much!Play video
What happens: The Eden Project is a unique organisation; a social enterprise, an educational charity, a tourism destination, an exemplar of regeneration. This session sets Eden in the Cornish context and explores the project’s ambition to be a sustainable organisation, introducing the concept of the Triple Bottom Line and our function as a social enterprise. The session provides practical examples and real world contexts to ground your students’ learning.
This classroom-based session links strongly with Geography and Tourism A level syllabuses. We encourage the students to ask questions and build a running dialogue with us throughout the interative session. After this there is an optional activity linked to the content that the students can complete across site.
Location: This takes place in a workshop room inside our purpose built education centre, with an optional follow-up activity across the Eden site.
Skills and curriculum links
This workshop enables students to:
- study the Eden Project as an example of a sustainable tourist destination including positive and negative impacts on the local economy, environment and community
- discover how the Eden Project is run as a sustainable business and social enterprise looking at the social, economic and environmental impact of the project on its partners and surroundings
- gain an insight into Eden’s charitable work and partnership with local communities
We've designed the workshop to complement the following Geography and Tourism A level syllabuses:
- Edexcel Applied Travel and Tourism Unit 7: Responsible tourism, 7.1, 7.3, 7.5
- OCR Geography 3.2 AS Unit F762: Managing change in Human Environments
- OCR Applied Tourism 3.12 A2 Unit G731: Ecotourism
The workshop costs £11.00 per pupil, with a minimum charge of £120 per group (includes VAT). The group size is flexible. The cost includes:
- a facilitated 1-hour session with our Education Team plus reference material to take away
- task linked to the taught session to stimulate students’ thinking when they’re out and about on site (optional)
- free access to the whole Eden site for the day
- if required, a base for your bags in our purpose-built education centre, The Core
- free entry for accompanying adults (1 free adult to every 20 students)
- a free preparatory visit to Eden for teachers wanting to plan their school trip, which should be booked in advance