Costa Rica Festival: family weekend
Here are some of the activities you'll be able to take part in over the weekend:
Cooking demos and chocolate tasting
Indulge in some authentic Costa Rican chocolate, and watch a live cooking demonstration by Michelin-trained chef José González, founder of Costa Rica’s Al Mercat restaurant.
- The demonstrations take place at 12 and 2pm in the Tico Hut (under cover outside our Eden Kitchen Café)
Storytelling in the Med Biome
Settle down in the Citrus Grove for a Costa Rican fairy tale with a musical twist.
- Stories start at 11.30am, 1.30pm and 3pm
Costa Rican craft activities
- Head to the Tico Hut (under cover outside our Eden Kitchen Café)
- This explosive workshop and display takes place in our science Lab in the Core building
Extraordinary Orchid Display
Discover Costa Rica’s stunning orchids in our Rainforest Biome, and listen to expert talks about these beautiful plants, by young orchid specialist Jess Buckle and seasoned horticulturist Saul Walker.
- Talks take place in the Rainforest Biome (by our Orchid Display) at the following times:
- Jess Buckle: Saturday 11.30am, 2.30pm; Sunday 1.30pm, 3.30pm
- Saul Walker: Saturday 1.30pm, 3.30pm; Sunday 11.30am, 2.30pm
Horticulturist Saul Walker, who trained at Kew, worked on the RHS Hampton Court Palace and RHS Chelsea Flower Shows, and is now Head Gardener of Stonelands House, a privately own 10-acre garden in Devon.
Jess Buckle is responsible for the day-to-day care of 800 orchid species as glasshouse manager at the Writhlington School Orchid Project, where she’s studying for her A-levels. She’s travelled to Rwanda to research endemic orchid species, and here in the UK has won a number of RHS gold medals.
The Costa Rica Festival family weekend is being held in partnership with the Costa Rica Tourism Board. Read more about our partnership and how we're promoting sustainable tourism.