What is pollination? – a diagram for kids

April 30, 2013
Author: Tom

At our Freaky Nature with Bugs event this half-term (28 May – 2 June 2013), get the low down on the good, the bad and the ugly of the bug world; discover which bugs are plant-friendly and which definitely aren’t!

Pollination is a very important part of the life cycle of plants. Insects, birds, bats and the wind take pollen between flowering plants, which means the plants can make seeds and reproduce (have babies!). The diagram below shows how:

What is pollination?

Pollination: how insects help plants to make seeds  Insects take pollen between flowering plants of the same type. The pollen fertilises egg cells to make seeds.  1.The bright colours and smell of that flower tell me that it's got the sugary nectar I love to eat and the pollen I feed to my kids. Yum! 2.Om nom nom, while eating at this flower some of the pollen has rubbed off on me by accident. 3. At this other flower the pollen from the first flower will fertilise the egg cells to make seeds.  Other types of pollination As well as by insect, pollen can be taken to other flowers by birds, bats and the wind.  Pollination is important for humans No pollination = not as many plants to use as food, clothing, shelter and other things!

Illustrations for ‘What is pollination?’ diagram by Chris Bisson, Eden Project Plant Records Manager. Follow him on Twitter (@edenscience) and see more of his illustrations on his personal blog.

Learning about the life cycle of plants

We hope that adults will find our diagram useful for teaching children how pollination is crucial to life on Earth. Teachers of Key Stage 2 pupils (aged 8-11 years) should find it useful when teaching the basic elements of the life cycle of plants.

Download the pdf

Visit Freaky Nature with Bugs at Eden during the school half-term holiday (28 May – 2 June 2013), where you’ll find fun, games and some really freaky bugs!

Comments:
19 comments
Categories:
Freaky Nature, Plants
Tags:
, , ,

19 responses to What is pollination? – a diagram for kids

1. Peter Corke says:

Dear Chris Bisson,

I am managing a project here in Chesterfield that promotes wildflower meadows to support pollinating insects, especially bees.

Would you mind if I used your Pollination diagram on our interpretation boards and leaflets for the community?

Regards and thanks,

Peter Corke

2. Hannah says:

We’d be happy for you to use the infographic as a whole. Please can you say: Illustrations for ‘What is pollination?’ diagram by Chris Bisson, Eden Project Plant Records Manager.

Do you need to get hold of a larger file or will this do?

3. liberty stavrou says:

hi i am only 9 im turning 10 in november 6th
    if it is possible can u tell me some facts about a frog life cycle because thats what im doing for research homework can you get back to me asap before monday please thank you
    Kind regards
    Liberty stavrou

4. Hannah says:

Hi Liberty, thanks for getting in touch. Unfortunately our team doesn’t have any special knowledge of frogs. Perhaps you could try the BBC website? http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Frog Happy birthday for 6 November!

5. Alanna says:

Hi. This website has given me lots of knowledge about pollination for my school project.

6. epeli katonivualiku says:

sites very informative, simple and easy to disseminate, especially when teaching in schools where English is a 2nd language…way to go!

7. jonathan hill says:

Hi – could you possibly send me a larger file of the pollination diagram – so I can use as part of a display?

8. Eden Project says:

Hi Jonathan, Thanks for your request – we’ve sent you an email.

9. Judith Hughes says:

Hi

My daughter Charlotte, aged 5 is in year 1 and is doing a science project for school on growing runner beans. This diagram would be ideal for her to include in her log as it would make it easy for her to explain pollination. It would also be a useful source of reference for other children within the school who will be reading her project.

Could you please e-mail me a larger copy so she can print it off and include it in her science project?

Regards
    Judith

10. Lynn Ashton says:

Hi, Newent in Bloom has a sunflower growing & eating activity at Newent’s Big Lunch on June 1st
    Our theme for 2014 is ‘planting for pollinators’ and this diagram would be great for the families coming to the lunch to help the kids understand about where their food comes from. Please could you send me a downloadable copy a bit bigger?
    Incidentally, Newent’s Big Lunch is a community picnic at one of our local beauty spots, Newent Lake. Here’s fingers crossed for sunshine!
    Thanks, Lynn.

11. Hannah says:

Hi Lynn, we’ve sent you an email.

12. Claire Reed says:

Hi!
    I’m currently teaching the role of flowers in the life cycle of flowering plants to my Year 3 class and think your diagram is amazing!! I would be very grateful if you could email me a copy for use on my classroom display/ IWB. Many Thanks,
    Claire Reed

13. Lisa Rosenberg says:

I love it. How can I copy it?

14. Hannah says:

Would you like us to email you the jpeg so that you can print it?

15. Olivia says:

I am a third grade teacher and would love to use this diagram while teaching my Bee and Pollination units. Could you please send me a copy in an email? Thanks!!

16. vishal gangwar says:

hello i am 8 standerd i like science i am got marks in science 18\20 my two cut in diagram of pollination

17. Kari says:

Would it be possible to get the pollination diagram in a file so that I can display it for a class? It can just be the regular size.

18. Hannah says:

Hi Kari, if you visit this page http://www.edenproject.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/what-is-pollination-diagram.jpg you can right click and save this image. We created the image at that size exactly, to fit our blog, so it is the biggest file available. Great to hear that you’ve found it useful.

19. zoe says:

hi i was wondering how pollination works like when the insect collects the pollen grains and drops them on the stigma and then falls into the ovary to make more seeds.
    all I want is too explain that to me in a better explained paragraph
    Thanks