The Big Lunch neighbourhood get-together
- Events nationwide
- Usually takes place the first Sunday in June
The Big Lunch is a simple idea from the Eden Project: that as many people as possible across the UK have lunch with their neighbours annually on a Sunday in June in a simple act of community, friendship and fun.
Since starting in 2009, thousands of Big Lunches have taken place in all types of communities, with millions of people taking to their streets, gardens and community spaces for lunch.
A Big Lunch can be anything from a simple get-together with neighbours in your backyard to a full-blown community event in a street closed to cars for the day.
Often a Big Lunch starts with a small group of friends and neighbours with an idea to get people together on one day in the year (it doesn’t have to be on the first Sunday in June). With a bit of door knocking, word of mouth and a few flyers, the ‘founding allies’ can get it to snowball into a proper plan involving the whole street!
But don’t worry about making it fancy, the key ingredients really are: people… and lunch! Why not simply pick a place to meet and invite everyone to bring their own food?
You just have to open your front door to get involved.
Big Lunch participant
What’s the point?
Enjoying a Big Lunch is just the start – it’s what can happen after that really makes the difference! Here are a few reasons to get involved:
- Have fun with your neighbours for a day – meet new people, make new friends, try new foods.
- Make connections – discover who lives in your street, what their skills and stories are.
- Change a neighbourhood – lots of people who’ve held a Big Lunch have gone on to do much more to make the place they live safer, more vibrant and more connected.
What people said
- More than eight out of ten people told us their Big Lunch made them feel better about their neighbourhood.
- Almost nine out of ten said it made people feel closer to their neighbours after their Big Lunch.
- Nine out of ten plan to keep in touch with new people they met.
It’s about feeling more together, valued, happier in my neighbourhood.
Big Lunch participant
How you can get involved
The great news is that there’s a whole Big Lunch team on hand to guide you on how to organise your event – and they’ve produced a handy, free starter pack which contains posters, invitations, stickers, games and recipe ideas, plus lots more to get you started. You can also sign up to the newsletter and follow them on social media, for more ideas.