School Workshop: Puzzling Plants
- 2-hour workshop
- Suitable for years 3 and 4
- Focus on science
- £5.80 per pupil
This school workshop uses some of Eden’s more unusual rainforest plants to inspire pupils about the wonders of the plant world, and reviews the fundamentals of plant biology.
School trips to Eden
Find out why students and teachers enjoy their educational trips to Eden so much!Play video
What happens: Pupils are introduced to Eden’s Science Team and are challenged to help them sort fact from fiction, by exploring some of the more unusual plants in the rainforest. A series of interactive classroom activities remind pupils of the form and function of flowering plants.
They then follow a map trail around the Rainforest Biome to seek out our puzzling plant wonders; including plants that move, carnivorous plants, amazing epiphytes and mysterious mangroves. At each discovery they are asked to consider what makes this plant puzzling, and different from ‘normal’ plants.
Back in the classroom, children reflect on their learning in the Biome, and undertake a practical challenge to reveal another puzzling feature of plants; their ability to lift water many metres into the air! The workshop ends with a final feedback session to the Eden scientists.
Location: This takes place in a workshop room inside our purpose built education centre and the Rainforest Biome.
Skills and curriculum links
This workshop enables pupils to:
- identify and describe the functions of different parts of flowering plants: roots, stem, leaves and flowers
- investigate the way in which water is transported within plants
- making systematic and careful observations
- justify their findings by drawing comparisons with their existing knowledge
We've designed the workshop to help teachers cover the following subject areas:
In Science, pupils should be taught to identify and describe the function of different parts of a plant, explore the requirements of plants for life and growth and investigate the way in which water is transported in plants. Pupils should explore the part that flowers play in the life cycle of flowering plants.
The workshop costs £5.80 per pupil, with a minimum charge of £116 per group (includes VAT). Maximum group size is 35. The cost includes:
- a facilitated workshop with our Education Team
- free access to the Eden site for the day
- all equipment needed for the workshop
- free teaching resources enabling your class to prepare for the workshop and to follow up on the activity (download a sample copy)
- a personal welcome from the Education Team at the entrance
- a base for your bags in our purpose-built education centre, The Core
- a space to eat your own lunch
- free entry for accompanying adult helpers, whose participation is essential to the success of the day (please note our suggested adult/pupil ratios are as follows: Early Years Foundation Stage, 1:3; Years 1-3, 1:6; Years 4 and up, 1:10). You’re welcome to bring more helpers if you’d like; for a charge of £14.75 per adult
- a free preparatory visit to Eden for teachers wanting to plan their school trip, which should be booked in advance
"[The workshop] covers so many learning objectives in one hit."