Trek through the world's steamy rainforests in the largest jungle in captivity, complete with luscious tropical plants, a huge crashing waterfall, tropical butterflies, and an aerial walkway.
Top 10 things to see in the Rainforest Biome
- The Aerial Walkway, where you can take a stunning walk among the treetops.
- The Rainforest Balloon that lifts our gardeners up to the canopy.
- Our Malaysian hut, complete with vegetable plot and paddy field.
- The waterfall, crashing through our South American rainforest.
- The African totem sculpture made from timbers recycled from Falmouth Docks.
- The Rainforest Lookout: get an amazing bird’s eye view of the whole Biome. Please note that over the winter months, the Lookout is usually only open on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Bananas - spot bunches of them high up in the trees.
- Nuts and spices - meet tasty and surprising plants such as vanilla and cashew.
- Rubber trees, in everything from car tyres to condoms.
- Cocoa and chocolate - everyone's favourite beans.
We recently had two Titan arums – the biggest flower in the world – bloom in our rainforest: find out more.
The Rainforest Balloon
The Rainforest Balloon is a research tool invented by scientists for safe, non-destructive access to the rainforest canopy. Since 1999 it has been used in Gabon, Madagascar, Panama and French Guyana also at Eden during 2004 and 2005.
We’re delighted to have brought the Rainforest Balloon back to Eden to allow our horticultural staff to access the canopy for pruning and monitoring.