The story behind the DuraOcean chair
We’re proud to have helped bring to market the world’s first commercially available chair made with plastic recycled from the ocean, working with LifestyleGarden.
The DuraOcean chair is made from ocean plastic waste such as fishing nets, ropes and debris collected from the oceans, which have been collected from the ocean and turned back into raw materials. Each chair contains 3.5kg of the stuff! And its wooden legs have been carefully sourced as Forest Stewardship Certified eucalyptus.
What’s more, the DuraOcean chair has been designed for disassembly, as each component has been produced its purest form so that it can go on to be recycled into something else. At the end of its life it can be recycled just like a plastic bottle would be.
Available from the Eden Project
If you’d like to be part of this positive story and own one of these beautiful, sustainable chairs, head over to the Eden Project’s online shop, where they are currently available exclusively to our customers.
Did you know…?
- Each year the human race produces 300 million tonnes of plastic waste – that’s nearly the same weight as the entire world population.
- Predictions show that unless something is done to reduce this, we will have created four times as much plastic waste by 2050.
- Every year, about eight million tonnes of plastic ends up in oceans across the world. That’s enough to circle the earth 425 times.
- Ocean plastic kills in excess of 100,000 marine creatures each year.
- By 2050 there could be more plastic than fish calling the ocean its home.