School Workshop: The Rainbow Route
- Duration time flexible
- Suitable for year 1 and EYFS
- Focus on English and science
- £5.60 per pupil
An exciting and colourful journey into the world of plants. This Early Years workshop introduces young people to plants, pollination and the colours of the rainbow.
School trips to Eden
Find out why students and teachers enjoy their educational trips to Eden so much!Play video
What happens: Starting with games led by our Education Officer, accompanied by music and inspired by the colours of the rainbow, children will then become bees and explore Eden. Teachers will be given exploration bags to help the ‘bees’ discover a palette of colours in nature.
Location: The workshop starts in the Core, Eden Project’s innovative education centre before moving into the Biomes and outside.
Skills and curriculum links
This workshop enables children to:
- use their visual sense as a basis for a colour exploration of Eden
- experience and enjoy the biodiversity at Eden
- learn about why colour is important for pollination
- respond in a variety of ways to what they see, hear, smell and touch
- be introduced to simple plant words, shapes and colours
We've designed the workshop to help teachers cover the following subject areas:
Pupils will cover early learning goals in Communication, Language and Literacy, Knowledge and Understanding of the World and Creative Development. In Science, they should develop a sense of excitement and curiosity about natural phenomena and experience them first hand. Pupils should notice the variety of life that surrounds them, naming a variety of common wild and garden plants and use their voices expressively and creatively by singing along to a song.
The Eden Project is a local site of awe and wonder which inspires and enthuses the children. It makes the issues of world conservation much more real and tangible. The children love the little surprises that they stumble upon in and around the biomes such as the story telling and food tasting.
Bude Junior School
The workshop costs £5.60 per pupil, with a minimum charge of £130 per group (includes VAT). Maximum group size is 35. The cost includes:
- a facilitated workshop with our Education Team
- free access to the Eden site for the day
- all equipment needed for the workshop
- free teaching resources enabling your class to prepare for the workshop and to follow up on the activity (download a sample copy)
- a personal welcome from the Education Team at the entrance
- a base for your bags in our purpose-built education centre, The Core
- a space to eat your own lunch
free entry for accompanying adult helpers, whose participation is essential to the success of the day (please note our suggested adult/pupil ratios are as follows: Early Years Foundation Stage, 1:3; Key Stage 1, 1:6; Key Stage 2 and 3, 1:10; Key Stage 4, 1:15; Key Stage 5, 1:20). You’re welcome to bring more helpers if you’d like; for a charge of £15 per adult
- a free preparatory visit to Eden for teachers wanting to plan their school trip, which should be booked in advance
- Find out the steps we’ve taken to ensure that all participants on Eden Project school visits are safe, with our covid-secure operating procedures