School Workshop: A Pocketful of Eden
- 30-minute workshop, plus free time for exploring
- Suitable for EYFS and year 1
- Focus on science and English
- £5.40 per pupil
This fun, engaging and safe school workshop is an ideal learning experience for Early Years children visiting the Eden Project. Journey deep into the heart of Eden and use your senses to discover a magical world of plants and people.
School trips to Eden
Find out why students and teachers enjoy their educational trips to Eden so much!Play video
Children experience an exciting and immersive story about plants and people, brought to life with props, movement, and pictures. The workshop starts in the Core, Eden Project's innovative education centre, before moving into the Rainforest Biome with a fun and interactive sensory trail led by the teachers.
Skills and curriculum links
This workshop enables pupils to:
- sustain attentive listening, responding to what they have heard with relevant comments, questions or actions
- investigate objects and materials by using all of their senses as appropriate
- respond in a variety of ways to what they see, hear, smell, touch and feel
We've designed the workshop to help teachers cover the following subject areas:
This workshop covers early learning goals in Communication, Language and Literacy, Knowledge and Understanding of the World and Creative Development.
At Key Stage 1, Science, pupils should be taught to observe closely, identifying, naming and classifying what they see as well as describing the basic structure of plants. They should also observe how plants are suited to their habitats and may consider what they need to grow. In English, pupils should develop pleasure and motivation to read through listening to a story, responding to what they have heard and joining in with predictable phrases. They should listen to rhymes and simple riddles and predict what might happen next in the story. In Geography, they should identify the location of a hot area of the world and consider how it differs in terms of climate and vegetation to the UK.
The workshop costs £5.40 per pupil, with a minimum charge of £124 per group (includes VAT), plus a group charge of £10 for resources. Maximum group size is 35. The cost includes:
- a facilitated workshop with our Education Team
- free access to the Eden site for the day
- all equipment needed for the workshop
- free teaching resources enabling your class to prepare for the workshop and to follow up on the activity (download a sample copy)
- a personal welcome from the Education Team at the entrance
- a base for your bags in our purpose-built education centre, The Core
- a space to eat your own lunch
free entry for accompanying adult helpers, whose participation is essential to the success of the day (please note our suggested adult/pupil ratios are as follows: Early Years Foundation Stage, 1:3; Key Stage 1, 1:6; Key Stage 2 and 3, 1:10; Key Stage 4, 1:15; Key Stage 5, 1:20). You’re welcome to bring more helpers if you’d like; for a charge of £15 per adult
- a free preparatory visit to Eden for teachers wanting to plan their school trip, which should be booked in advance