School Workshop: Ready Steady Sow
- 1.5-hour workshop
- Suitable for years 1 and 2
- Focus on science
- £6.20 per pupil
Investigate seeds from around the world; where they come from and how they grow, plant your own seed and take it home. Little green fingers love getting their hands dirty in this fun workshop.
School trips to Eden
Find out why students and teachers enjoy their educational trips to Eden so much!Play video
What happens: Children learn effective ways to explore and observe plants close up, by investigating seeds from around the world and making the connection from plant to seed. Each child plants a seed and finds out how to care for them so that they thrive at home or school after the workshop.
Location: The workshop takes place in the Spiral Garden or in one of our classrooms in the Core education centre. Afterwards you can visit the Rainforest or Mediterranean Biome, or the outdoor gardens in your own time.
Skills and curriculum links
This workshop enables children to:
- use observational skills to examine and identify seeds from around the world
- understand the link between plants and seeds and show an understanding of the life-cycle of plants
- learn how to plant their own seeds and how to care for them; what plants need to survive
- develop new vocabulary connected to growing seeds and plants
We've designed the workshop to help teachers cover the following subject areas:
In Science, pupils should be taught to identify and name a variety of wild and garden plants and describe their basic structure and function. They should consider the characteristics of the different seasons, how seeds germinate and the requirements of plants for healthy growth (water, air, light, warmth and nutrients).
The workshop costs £6.20 per pupil, with a minimum charge of £124 per group (includes VAT). Maximum group size is 35. The cost includes:
- a facilitated workshop with our Education Team
- free access to the Eden site for the day
- all equipment needed for the workshop
- free teaching resources enabling your class to prepare for the workshop and to follow up on the activity (download a sample copy)
- a personal welcome from the Education Team at the entrance
- a base for your bags in our purpose-built education centre, The Core
- a space to eat your own lunch
free entry for accompanying adult helpers, whose participation is essential to the success of the day (please note our suggested adult/pupil ratios are as follows: Early Years Foundation Stage, 1:3; Key Stage 1, 1:6; Key Stage 2 and 3, 1:10; Key Stage 4, 1:15; Key Stage 5, 1:20). You’re welcome to bring more helpers if you’d like; for a charge of £15 per adult
a free preparatory visit to Eden for teachers wanting to plan their school trip, which should be booked in advance
This workshop is accredited under the British Science Association’s CREST Awards scheme. Completion of the workshop contributes two activities towards a Star Award.